Understanding Your Birth Control Options and Risks
As a woman, one of the many things we must worry about is our reproductive health. While not the most exciting thing to think about, birth control has to potential to change your life in every way. There are several varieties of family planning mechanisms or birth control. Contraception, fertility management… the list goes on. It seems like today, we are presented with so many options that it can be hard to choose.
The good news is that we DO have options. With just a little bit of research, thought, and conversation with your partner, the right birth control methods are there for you.
Finding the best birth control method can be a challenge. Not every option is going to appeal to you or work well with your lifestyle. You’ll have options like hormone or hormone free, monthly periods or skip a few… some are safe for breastfeeding mother while others are not. As you can see, there is a lot to consider and we haven’t even scratched the surface.
Having a healthcare provider talk to you about your family planning options is extremely important. You want to come armed with a list of questions that will help you make a great choice. Talking to a doctor or nurse who knows your health history will help you make the most educated decision.
Here are some questions that you should ask yourself and your health care provider when exploring birth control options:
- Do you want a pill? A shot? An implant? Or IUD? How will each one affect your day to day life?
- Do you also need protection against STD’s?
- Do you have any health concerns that might eliminate some choices?
- What are the risks associated with some of your primary options?
- How do other women like/dislike your primary options?
- Are you planning to become pregnant in the near future?
- Which options are within your budget? Are they covered by insurance?